Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Current Favorites

Here are some books that my son is currenly loving.  We read lots and lots of books in our house.  Some are winners, some are not.  I am starting a practice I use in my classroom of reading books on a theme.  This month we have read lots of books that include fish.  Here are some current favorites from my son.

The Deep Blue Sea by Audrey Wood (sorry not a link) is a definite hit in our house.  So much so that I now need to purchase it because I can not renew it any more.  I love this book because it is really easy for a young child to "read".  It is patterned and repetitive.  My son who is 3 is picking out the words "of" and "the" when he sees them due to this book.  He even saw the word asleep in another book and said "deep".

Another favorite is by the same author.  Ten Little Fish by Audrey Woods taught my son to count to 10.  Again, very repetitive and includes fish.  I don't know why the photo is so small.

My favorite of our fish books has been Hooray for Fish by Lucy Cousins.  I like this book because of the illustrations, which are very colorful and at time comical.  It really lends itself to an art tie in.
Lucy Cousins is of course the author of the Maisy books which are always a big hit with young children.
This book is a great book to develop language.  The fish in the book look like what they are called.  There is an eye fish that look like an eye, and hairy fish that look hairy.  Lots of fun inside this one.

Happy reading to all of you.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the little guy is really taking off! I love using books for everything...I use them all the time as a therapist. It really helps with attention issues, which I see a lot. I just got the whole set of Five in a Row for $9 at our home school group and am loving it since it is all literature based curriculum for all areas!

    ReplyDelete