Saturday, October 30, 2010

Politics

Tis the season for lots and lots of political ads in our post box.  Alaska is going through a strange time politically.  I try very hard to not talk politics aside from with good friends or family, and if there is a differing opinion I try not to dispute.  I do this because I respect that we all have the right to have our own opinion.  Talking politics with relatives, work folks, neighbors can lead to some uncomfortable encounters. I am not apathetic.  I vote and am an advocate for what I believe, I write my senators and support causes that share my values.

Yesterday I received a political ad in the mail.  It shows a man yelling in an angry face through a bullhorn at a woman who is passively looking on.  My son, who is not yet 3, grabbed the ad off the table and began walking around with it, staring at it, fascinated.  He has never seen an angry face.  Soon enough he was mimicking the face, not knowing the emotion behind it, but I found it really comical and kind of a replication what we as adults tend to do during political discussions.

I live in a small town of 2,000.  It is a laid back, ski resort, outdoors town.  In the past few weeks I have noticed people have been ripping political signs that sit on other peoples lawns.  I am so shocked at my community.  I did not know my community had this in them.  This is a neighorly town.

I think I will write a letter to the editor of my paper, shame shame on us for being drawn into the political climate that is rocking our nation.  Are we really that weak?

There is a message that is being passed around our state.  Vote with your heart not your fear.  This really spoke to me.  Tearing signs off others' lawns is fear based, not heart based.  I am going to try to think of this when I step into the voting booth this year.

1 comment:

  1. I always let the kids have the junk mail...the last few weeks they have been so happy to have so much mail every day.

    ReplyDelete