Saturday, September 11, 2010

I remember

I do remember where I was on September 11.  I was teaching on a small island in Prince William Sound. A student came to me outside and said "It was really scary when the plane hit the building."  I had no idea what he was talking about, as I had not seen the t.v. and we did not have a radio.  I asked questions about which movie he had seen.

I remember how scary it all seemed, my husband was away, I could not get ahold of him because the lines were so jammed. I wondered about friends who worked in New York, and I wondered about our world.  I felt safe on the island and more thankful than I had ever been to be living a remote life.  The images of the television broadcast, the panic, and sorrow are seared into my brain.  I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment