Thursday, September 16, 2010

Photos and Berries

 I watched the documentary The True Meaning of Pictures: Shelby Lee Adams' Appalachia .  I was intrigued by the photographers staging of his subjects, and in my very beginner technique I set out to photograph my handsome husband to appear different than he was.  That sounds confusing, but if you watch the documentary you might understand this quest.  Photographs can define a person, even if it is not defining them in their true form.



My sister posted this photo on her facebook page, and a friend of hers commented     "I need to know more about Jonathan!  Does he live in WV too?  What a stereotype.  I have a few relatives like that too and they are so much fun to be around"

I thought to myself.... like what?

Although I set out to create a photo that had that effect I instantly realized that a person can create a whole stereotype of a person from the setting of a photograph.  I need to watch the documentary again and see how the photographers settings and poses defined the people in maybe of a lesser light then is real.


What made these photos even more fun is that my favorite berries to harvest are the much underrated High Bush Cranberries Vivurnum edule.  They are so satisfying to pick, and are oh so red, a sharp contrast to the fall colors.  I also really like photographing them, and turning them into jelly, or syrup depending on my success in that area.  

Bring on the berries!



No comments:

Post a Comment